Burgos
North
30-60 minutes
Burgos
North
30-60 minutes
Lock 14, built between 1759 and 1804, is a single lock that continues the ascent of the North Branch near Melgar de Fernamental. Its oval basin, 25.10 meters long, 9.50 meters wide, and 3.20 meters high, is constructed of limestone masonry, a durable material that has allowed the essential structure of the hydraulic work to be preserved. On the right bank, there is a spillway with a concrete lip and ditch that connects via an underground conduit to the diversion channel on the same bank, discharging against the wall of the basin before rejoining the canal. The intake for the millrace that supplied the adjacent building originates at the left wing of the upper entrance, crossing under the towpath via a buried pontoon bridge and continuing above ground until it rejoins the canal approximately 60 meters downstream.
The complex is structured around several secondary elements. The bridge over the lock, also from the Enlightenment period, features a semicircular arch in limestone ashlar, with stone wing walls and parapets. It is in good condition, and its function was to ensure passage between banks without interfering with maneuvers. Two auxiliary bridges, also of limestone ashlar, are preserved at the diversion point, allowing the continuity of the towpath; they are in good condition and maintain the authenticity of the original construction. Aligned with them is the irrigation canal bridge, built of limestone ashlar and of robust proportions, which spanned the ditch associated with the irrigation system. Next to these elements stands the mill, a rectangular building with a basement and two stories, an arcade of four semicircular arches, and limestone walls at the base. Restored and in good condition, it retains its wooden structure and curved tile roof, recalling its use as a mill and hydroelectric power station. The complex is completed by the auxiliary shed, made of pressed brick and now in ruins, and the house-warehouse, a two-module building with brick enclosures, a wooden structure and a missing roof, which retains remains of facades and original structural elements.
A visit to Lock 14 invites you to enjoy the canal from a calm and close perspective; the stone bridges accompany the journey like silent landmarks, and the restored mill adds a touch of historical life to the landscape.
The Melgar de Fernamental to Ventosa de Pisuerga road, at kilometer 4.850, leaves the complex on its left side. It is 1 km from San Llorente de la Vega.